Thursday, May 21, 2009

Homemade Oreo Cookie


Alright, this week I wanted to do something nice and simple. Since going to school I've realized that I'm a simple baker. If that makes sense. I love baking and making something taste so delicious that's all someone will think about while they're eating my creation. I'm not a decorator. I, in all honesty, HATE cake decorating. I've tried and tried, but I'd rather spend my time on the taste then the appearance. You can still make something look amazing with out all the hoopla. I'm still trying though. Just ask Todd. He knows when I'm trying to decorate a cake. Practice makes perfect right?!


Anyway....off my little rant...so since I didn't have much time this week (we're leaving for Denver on Friday), as I said before I wanted something simple. I don't think I've craved too much during this pregnancy, but a couple weeks ago I was walking through Walmart and saw a bag of Oreos. They looked so good. I knew Todd would want to get them if I mentioned it. But surprisingly enough he said we didn't need them. Shocking I know. Since then I've been wanting some with a glass of milk (and for those that know me know I can't stand milk). Mmm...sounds so good though. When I was trying to figure out what to bake this week it popped into my head Homemade Oreos. I've made them before and they're quite easy. All you need is a couple boxes of cake mixes, a few basic ingredients, and cream cheese. The best part, they're way better than store bought:)

The recipe says to bake them for 10-13 minutes. Usually depends on your oven and the size. Mine only cooked for 8 minutes. As the cookies cooled mine became a little hard. I thought I over cooked them, but when you bite into them they're just right. They soft, but give a little crunchiness so they're almost like the real oreos you buy. The recipe made a ton of cookies. Didn't really get to count them, but if you don't need tons I'd half it next time. It took forever. Part of that could have been due to the fact that I made them pretty small.


Homemade Oreo's
2 Devils Food Cake mixes

1 1/4 C Butter

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla


Directions:Mix well. Roll into cherry sized balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes. Cool on rack.


Cream Cheese Filling

(1) 8 oz pkg cream cheese

1/4 C butter*1 tsp vanilla

3 1/2 C Powdered Sugar.


Mix well and spread between cooled cookies.

1 comments:

Frasure Family said...

I love this! They never last long enough in our house! I cook mine for 8 minutes too because it makes them so soft:) yum!