Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pumpkin Cookies

What better to make this time of year than pumpkin cookies. Well, anything pumpkin I think. You might as well take advantage of it while you can! I've never made pumpkin cookies so I thought I'd give it a try this year, and I'm glad I did. They're really good!!

Photobucket

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. It's suppose to have a glaze on top, but I didn't have powdered sugar like I thought I did, and I didn't want to run to the grocery store. So I improvised. I melted some chocolate and drizzled it on top instead. Having done that I'm not sure if I would have liked the glaze topping. I think it might have made it a little too sweet. I honestly liked them plain without the chocolate too. They're very cake like and moist. They're not too sweet like most cookies. The only bad thing is that they're a little addicting. Especially if you're a fan of pumpkin.

What I really like is that they're super easy to whip up. Just your basic ingredients and a cup of pumpkin puree. Pretty simple. The recipe says to bake for 15-20 minutes. I only baked mine for 12 and I think I could have probably done them for 10-11 minutes. Not a bad cookie I'd have to say so myself.

Photobucket

Pumpkin Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.

3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.

4. To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

0 comments: